Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Gotta Take the Bad With the Good...


Addi was tested for preschool today. She'll enter the 3-year-old Montessori program in the fall, if she gets in. Depends on how many spots they have and how many 3 year olds signed up. She's so ready for school. She's outgoing and sociable, and she's pretty much potty trained, except at night. She still has an occasional accident, but I have no doubts she'll absolutely be fine by August. It's only half a day, or I wouldn't send her. Dylan will be in Kindergarten all day, and I think it'll be good for her. She charmed all of the teachers, who couldn't get over how cute she is. And she informed me that Newberry Elementary is now her school, not Connor's. What a little diva she is! When I was putting her to bed, we were talking about her day, and I said, "Addi, you had a pretty good day today, huh?" And she said, "YEAH!" LOL

After storytime at the library today, I took the kids to the park since it was such a nice day. And since it was such a nice day, it was pretty crowded. All the kids played nicely together, though, and I thought things were going pretty well. Then I heard a parent yell at Connor. Apparently, Connor thought the boy needed help on the swing--he was young, probably about the same age as Addi--and Connor was going to push him. The mom, of course, was afraid her son was going to fall out of the swing, and she might have thought Connor was some bratty kid who was trying to take his swing. Connor became very upset, though, and he had to do his breathing exercises to calm down. I talked to Connor and gently reminded him that next time it might be a good idea to ask, "Do you want me to push you?" A few minutes later, I went to talk to the mom and let her know that Connor wasn't trying to be mean. And for the first time EVER, I pulled the autism card. I let her know that Connor has autism and didn't know he should ask first. She was very nice and understanding, and I'm sure I would've reacted the same way had the situation been reversed. But man, thinking about the look on Connor's face and how hard it was for him to calm himself down...my heart just aches for him.

And so I can end this on a positive note, Connor was given extra recess time yesterday. One of the boys in his class had resource during recess time, and Connor's teacher chose him to stay and play with the boy for a few extra minutes. He was so excited about it, and I could tell when he was telling me about it that he was very proud. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment